Potential Army Trucks Finalise Testing

< BACK TO DEFENCE starstarstarstarstar   Government - Defence Press Release
18th February 2010, 06:15pm - Views: 623





Government Defence Defence Public Affairs 1 image

Government Defence Defence Public Affairs 2 image










THE HON. GREG COMBET AM MP

Minister for Defence Personnel, Materiel and Science



Thursday, 18 February 2010

023/2010


Potential Army Trucks Finalise Testing


Greg Combet, Minister for Defence Personnel, Materiel and Science, today

announced that trials for competing medium to heavy weight trucks for the

Australian Army had been completed. 


Tenderers to provide Medium to Heavy Weight Trucks to the Army under

Project Land 121 were asked to provide a range of vehicle platforms for

evaluation. The Medium Heavy Capability component of Land 121 represents

approximately 2,000 trucks and modules.


“The trial tested 24 vehicles in five vehicle categories, employing over 64

Army test drivers and putting the trucks through comprehensive field testing,

on both public roads and military training areas, over a six month period,” Mr

Combet said.  


“As a result of the trial Thales’ Bushmaster Utility, MAN Military Vehicle

Systems Australia’s HX vehicle series and Mercedes-Benz Australia/Pacific’s

Zetros and Actros vehicle series have been identified by Defence as the

contenders to proceed to the next stage,” Mr Combet said.


The trials were conducted under stage one of the Land 121 Medium Heavy

Capability tender refreshment process. The Government ordered the tender to

be refreshed when new requirements became apparent due to the changing

strategic environment. 


“Phase 3 of Project Land 121 (Overlander) is the largest land project in the

current Defence Capability Plan that seeks to significantly improve the

capability, logistics and mobility for the Australian Defence Force,” Mr Combet

said.


“Given the previous problems that have been experienced in this project the

Government is fundamentally seeking a Military-Off-The-Shelf solution which

will be subject only to minimal changes necessary to address safety and

legislative requirements.

   

“This has been a problem project and we still have a way to go. However, the

Government is determined to ensure that we get this project back on track so

we can get the trucks our troops need to do their job,” Mr Combet said.


Media contacts:

Rod Hilton (Greg Combet)

02 6277 7620 or 0458 276 619

Defence Media Liaison:

02 6265 3343 or 0408 498 664






news articles logo NEWS ARTICLES
Contact News Articles |Remove this article